Southport Plein Air 2022
2022 Southport Plein Air Festival
Plein Air 2022 in Pictures!
Back by popular demand, the 2022 Southport Plein Air Festival was the biggest and the greatest ever. With 75 registered artists from across the entire State of North Carolina and six other states and hundreds of friends, family, and spectators descending on Southport, the 2022 Plein Air Festival is an event to remember!
But don't take our word for it. Here is a retrospective in pictures!
The opening ceremony was filled with live music, great food, and a good time for all!
Live Music & Delicious Food
Families were entertained all day at Keziah Park by outstanding musical groups with a sound not often heard in downtown Southport. Brazilian jazz guitarist Raphael Namé took center stage, followed by the Tedward Brothers trio, and Spanish guitarist Perry Smith.
Artists en Plein Air
Both amateur and professional painters alike came out to paint the glorious vistas of coastal North Carolina for the festival's true purpose, painting in the clean, fresh air. (Thanks to the artists that contributed their own photos on Facebook!)
Kids Plein Air
Plein Air is a festival for all ages, and the kids came out to celebrate. We provided all the materials for the kids to paint their own masterpieces, and they delivered, with smiles and giggles.
Wet Paint Sale
A favorite event of the Plein Air Festival, the wet paint sale gives the artist an opportunity to share their art with eager patrons, and gives attendees a chance to own a masterpiece that was created in front of their very eyes throughout the festival!
The award ceremony recognizes the hard work and dedication of the Plein Air Painters. Local artist judges hand-selected the award winners, while attendees voted on their favorite for the People's Choice award. The People's Choice winner will have their art featured in promotions and t-shirts at the next Southport Plein Air Festival!
- Mayor Joseph P. Hatem Award – Artist Rokhava Warring of Clyde, NC, presented by Southport Mayor Hatem
- The Christine Martinez Award – Artist Jim McIntosh of Oak Island, NC, presented by Christine Martinez of the Christine Martinez Band and Hoover and Martinez
- The Spence Hayden Award – Artist Marcus McClanahan of Farmville, NC, presented by Spence Hayden of Southport Johnny and the Bizness, Charlene and the Blue Grass Charlatans, and Uptown Easy
- The Edward Iglesias Award – Artist Kerry Strathman of Summerton, SC, awarded by Edward Iglesias of the Tedward Brothers
- The Lockwood River Band Award – Artist Allen Lassiter of Edenton, NC, presented by Alan Nelson, Scott Dilley, and Tom Saffioto of the Lockwood River Band
- The Randy Lewis Award – Artist Lyudmila Lucy Tomova of Cary, NC, presented by Randy Lewis of the Back Porch Rockers
- The People’s Choice Award – Artist Jon Cox of Oak Island, NC, presented by Southport Plein Air Committee Chair Bonnie Bray
Thanks to All Who Made it Happen
The ladies and gentlemen of the Southport Plein Air Festival Committee planned and accomplished one of the best dang plein air festivals in North Carolina this year! We had 75 registered artists from seven different states, music from Brazil and Spain, Mexican folk art and mural painting for kids, Latin American food and ice cream for all, topped off by close to 300 people at the Wet Paint Sale -- and that was just on Saturday!
Up Your Arts wants to thank everyone on the committee for their hard work and dedication to making our annual plein air festival such a joy to host: pictured from left to right, Karen Scarborough, Bonnie Bray, Sally Keiffer, Ginny Dorward, and Mary Harris Schnedetz. Not pictured: Mary Nolan Fragale, Jen McCarthy, Robert Carroll, Marty Dorward, Joe Fragale, Rick Helmbold, John Keiffer, and Ken Schnedetz.
Thank you all, the committee, the artists, City of Southport staff, the judges, and the residents and visitors of our fair city. Let's hear it for the 2022 Southport Plein Air Festival!
Get Ready for 3 in '23!
We are thrilled to announce that the 2023 Southport Plein AIr Festival will be extended to three days! Mark your calendars for May 18th-20th 2023. Keep watching this space for more information.
* Photographers: Ken Schnedetz, Zeb Starnes, Kathy Smith, Helena Jolenta, and Karen Gazzard