Southport Plein Air 2022
2022 Southport Plein Air Festival
Up Your Arts and the City of Southport are thrilled to welcome artists back to our beautiful town for the 2022 Southport Plein Air Festival. Turn out in previous years has exceeded our imagination and we are ready to do it again -- two full days, May 13-14, 2022, rain or shine!
The 2022 Southport Plein Air Festival is open to all painters, regardless of age. It is a non-juried event, with merit and People’s Choice awards conferred by local notables. Winners will be registered in the 2023 Southport Plein Air Festival free of charge. There is no limit on medium, quantity or size. Painters retain all proceeds from the sale of their work during the Wet Paint Sale. We will be at capacity with 75 artists, so don’t delay signing up: first come, first serve!
Register online below OR mail this registration form with a check for $50 to: Up Your Arts, P.O. Box 11326, Southport, NC 28461.
- All canvases to be entered in the Wet Paint Sale must be stamped at check-in/registration time.
- Welcome packets will include a map of Southport, with suggested painting spots and other points of interest.
- Commemorative T-shirts will be available for sale throughout the festival.
Friday, May 13
Painting can begin anytime after check-in/registration
- Check-in/registration from 8am-11am at Brunswick Community College’s Southport Center for Creativity, 701 N. Lord Street
- Walking tours of Southport’s gallery district on Howe Street from 3-4pm, maps provided
- Opening reception from 4-6pm at the Southport Community Building, 223 E. Bay Street
- Includes beverages and appetizers, music and a painting workshop;
- check-in/registration continues
- Live music from 6-8pm on the back deck overlooking the Cape Fear River
Paint the sunset on the water at 8:05pm on Friday, May 13
Saturday, May 14
Information base from 8am-6pm at Keziah Memorial Park, 113 W. Moore Street:
- Check-in/registration from 8am-11am, if not previously checked in or registered
- Kids’ Plein Air from 10am-3pm (art supplies provided)
- Festival entertainment, music and food trucks all day
- Wet Paint Sale from 4-6pm (artist setup starts at 3pm, closed to the public)
- Merit and People’s Choice awards announced at 5 pm
A Festival Like No Other
Mark your calendars for May 13-14, 2022, for a unique, family-friendly festival. Each year, Southport, North Carolina welcomes painters across the state to take advantage of our incredible scenery by painting 'en plein air' or in the open air. This outdoor festival is fun for the whole family:
Things to Do at Southport’s Plein Air Festival 2022
Experience the Creative Process, Live!
Watch artists paint en Plein Air live! It's not often one gets to watch the creative process of a master painter in real-time. The artists participating in the 2022 Southport Plein Air Festival will be positioned all around Southport. As you stroll the streets, take the opportunity to stop and watch the masters at work.
Painting for the Kids
Plein air painting isn’t just for adults! Kids Plein Air gives children a chance to share in your passion and make masterpieces of their own. We provide all of the art supplies so you don’t have to worry about a thing. Kids can walk in anytime Saturday May 14th, between 10am and 3pm.
Food trucks will be serving up great food and treats all day, Saturday.
Lots of live Music
Up Your Arts will also host live music for the general public throughout the festival.
Wet Paint Sale
It's your opportunity to own a piece of history when at our unique wet paint sale! Support local artists and bring home a fabulous piece of art painted during the festival at this one-of-a-kind event!
All that AND it's Free!
That's right, the Plein Air festival is free to audiences of all ages! What a great opportunity to get out of the house, stretch your legs, embrace some culture, and have some fun!